Things to do in Destin when it rains… and a few things to do when it’s just a little rain…
Update May 2014
5. Okaloosa Island has the boardwalk and the Gulfarium which is worth seeing really. It’s not the biggest aquarium, but my kids dig it. www.gulfarium.com
6. Harborwalk at Emerald Grand – lots of little shops along the harbor and great places to eat, an arcade, and a laser vault A little touristy, but hey, when in Rome… UPDATE They now have a zipline and when it is NOT raining this as well as paddle boards, jet ski’s, fishing trips and dolphin cruises and the awesome Pirate Ship as well as many events along the water like fireworks and art shows!!! Emerald Grande Events
7. Baytownewharf! I dig it – again, it’s outside, but if it’s not pouring, it works Great food, little shops, zip lines, rock climbing, arcades, mini golf range (for kids), obstacle course, laser guns, ice cream, coffee and music. www.baytownewharf.com
8. Serenity by the Sea – inside the Hilton at Sandestin for a day at the SPA or the Emerald Grande has an awesome Spa!!! Love both – Emerald Grande has a better view, the Hilton has a hot tub, very nice!
9. Pedicures!!! Manicures!!! A great way to spend the day – boys included –
10. Grand Boulevard – more shopping, food and soon to be movies!!! UPDATE definitely movies and a movie theater!!! Grand Boulevard
11. Silversands outlets – food and shopping of course!
12. Sunstations (next door to fat daddy’s) has black light mini golf and laser tag.
13. Geocaching – there are a bunch around here and the kids love it – with a bit of our help It’s like a grown up treasure hunt. Try www.geocaching.com
14. Ice Cream!!! We have the Marble Slab, a new Dairy Queen, Brusters, Shakes, Kilwins, Dippin Dots, Yogurt Mountain, U Twirl, Deep South Sno Treats – I am sure I am missing some – let me know!
15. Bounce Party Playzone in Mary Esther – just over the bridge – fun fun fun!!! rain or shine!
16. Destin Library – worth a visit!
17. It’s a quick visit, but it’s what Destin is all about The Destin Fishing Museum!
18. The Track!
19. Big Kahunas! Now if it is raining a lot with lightening this is an obvious no go – but otherwise – the kids LOVE it!!!
20. 2 words. RED BOX
Ok – so I have to update – it is obviously raining again –
Ok I have been bad about posting as I have been pretty busy with work, BUT Abbi’s hair was finally long enough to cut and donate sooooo she did and I am so proud of her (me smiling)…
Happy St Patricks Day! It has been a cold and cloudy day which has made traffic almost stop. A lot of Spring Breakers are here and they seem to look younger and younger every year… Certainly I am not getting any older? Anyways, I made corned beef and potatos and to my suprise – my children LOVED it. There was no meat left. I also served sweet peas for a bit of green (they were not as big of a hit, but the dogs enjoyed so not all was lost).
We had to leave the meat to be processed and we just kind of took our time heading back to Destin as this was a gorgeous spring day. North Florida gets cold in the winter (NOT as cold as Nebraska) but this was still a cold winter overall, so the air was still crisp, but so pretty. As we are driving, I spotted this nice little smokehouse on the side of the road and I had to quickly take a few photos. The owner was a little bitter, as you may be able to determine via the photos of her now abandoned “out of business” smokehouse.
Ok, so now we are back in the car heading to Alabama and this place is actually only about an hour in a half away from our house. We got there and this man was so sweet. He must have thought we had lost our minds (well, let me rephrase, he must have thought I had lost my mind). I asked him if I could take pictures because I was just having a picture taking kind of day. I have never seen such a thing. Now I am not really fond of deer meat (sorry , I know it is not a bad thing, it is just a bit gamey for me and I do my hunting at our local grocery store) but this is the best sausage I think I have ever had. It is called Smokehouse Deer Processing in Lowery, Alabama and it was worth the drive. They also are part of a group called “Hunter Helping the Hungry” where they give excess meat to needy families, just really nice people and really really good sausage.